When Fall rolls around, my excitement for all of the seasonal drinks hits an all-time high. After all, most drinks are only available for a limited time or while supplies last. If you’re on a budget, you might be bummed out that you can’t swing by your favorite drink shop as often as you’d like. Preparing some frugal Fall DIY drinks may not have even crossed your mind. On top of that, if it’s still pretty hot where you’re at (like me), the thought of pumpkin lattes or hot apple cider is definitely not on your priority list right now. If an icy cold Fall inspired drink sounds heavenly to you, then this frugal Fall DIY drink is the answer. This icy cold Apple Pumpkineda is my Fall take on one of my favorite summer drinks, a Mangoneda. You’ll instantly be addicted! And the best part is, it’s a cinch to make and takes only 10 minutes to make.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using a link.
What is an Apple Pumpkinada?
An Apple Pumpkinada is my Fall’s DIY version to a favorite summertime drink in Mexican communities, the Mangonada. A typical Mangonada is sweet and spicy. It’s made with fresh mango, mango nectar, mango sorbet, mixed with Chamoy, a fermented sauce of fruit, salt, sugar, and chilies, and topped off with Tajin, a chile-lime salt.
The Apple Pumpkinada is my Fall version of the Mangonada. It combines the sweet and savory taste of two of my favorite Fall fruits, apples and pumpkins. Both of these fruits combine to create just the right flavor that pairs wonderfully with the spiciness from the Chamoy and Tajin. This drink will soon become one of your new Fall obsessions.
Tools & Tips for Frugal Fall DIY Drinks at Home
Before we get to the recipe, let’s talk a little about what will help you create the best DIY drinks at home. After all, whipping up your own Fall drinks is not only budget-friendly, but it’s easier than you think and it can be a whole heck of fun too. Don’t feel left out just because you’re on a budget and can’t afford a Starbucks pumpkin latte every day. Here are some simple tricks to enjoy your frugal Fall DIY drinks at home.
Creating your drinks is just half of the fun. Enjoying it from an adorable Fall cup will push it over the top. Replicate how you see drinks served when you buy them. Invest in a few cups and reuse them throughout the season. They will pay themselves off in no time. Plus, nothing beats that feeling of sipping your drink out of your favorite Fall tumbler. You also don’t need a fancy blender to whip up fancy Fall frugal DIY drinks. I own this Oster blender and it works perfectly to blend up the Apple Pumpkinada.
For more kitchen gadgets that save money, click here.
Experiment and Have Fun!
Above all, have fun and experiment! If you love cinnamon or nutmeg, sprinkle some in. If you’re not a pumpkin lover, replace it with other Fall fruit favorites like pears or cranberries. Use your imagination! That’s how I came up with the Apple Pumpkinada.
Don’t overthink it too! You don’t need to have a ton of exotic ingredients and a ton of steps to make a delicious drink. The best part is experimenting at home. In the end, you’ll pay less than what you would pay for one at your favorite drink shop. You might just surprise yourself at what you come up with. Enough talking now, let’s get on to the recipe already!
If it’s still hot where you live, try this Fall version of a Mangonada which is one of my favorite summer drinks (blended slushie of mango juice or nectar, fresh diced mango, and mango sorbet, served with Chamoy and Tajin, a chili-lime salt). Instead of mango, apple and pumpkin flavors steal the show. It’s sweet, savory, and spicy all at the same time. It will become your icy cold go-to Fall drink. Enjoy!
- Pour 2 tbsp of Tajin onto a small plate.
- Pour half of the Chamoy into the cup.
- Pour the remaining Chamoy onto another small plate.
- Dip your cup rim in the Chamoy on the plate, then quickly dip into the Tajin. Store in the fridge for now.
- Slice up your apple and put half in your blender. Reserve the other half to top your drink later.
- Add 1 cup of pumpkin ice cream, 1/2 cup of ice, and 1 cup of pumpkin & apple cider or juice. Blend until smooth.
- Take your cup out of the fridge. Carefully tilt your cup to swirl the Chamoy at the bottom of the cup around the inside of your cup.
- Pour the blended Apple Pumpkinada from the blender into your cup. Add the remaining sliced apples to the top, sprinkle with the remaining Tajin seasoning. Add a Tamarind-Chile Straw if you have one. Enjoy!
- If you’re not a fan of pumpkin, use apple cider and apple ice cream instead. You can omit the Chamoy, Tajin, and Tamarind-Chile straw if you don’t like spicy drinks.
- Add more ice if you want it more slushy like.
- Add less ice cream if want to make it less sweet.
Final Thoughts on Frugal Fall DIY Drinks: Apple Pumpkinada
You can enjoy Fall and all of the fun drinks that come with it, even if you’re on a budget. A fabulously, frugal way to save money this Fall is to DIY most of your drinks at home. It’s crazy how fast and easy this Apple Pumpkinada recipe is. It’s also super delicious and addicting! Try it today, and let me know it turns out in the comments below! It will be one of the best frugal Fall DIY drinks that you try this year.
If you enjoyed this blog post, don’t forget to share it on Facebook and pin it to Pinterest. Don’t forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter in the sign-up box below. You’ll be signed up to my email list, so I can let you know when new posts are available. You’ll also get some insider tips on how to live a fulfilled life debt-free on a budget!
For other Fall inspired budget-friendly blog posts, please check these out:
- Fall Decorating on a Budget
- Frugal Fall Apple Bucketlist
- Budget-Friendly Pumpkin Fall Bucketlist
- Frugal Spooky Fall Bucketlist